Asynchronous USB-to-I2S interface overview
WaveIO card is a high performance USB-to-I2S bridge especially designed for asynchronous audio streaming between any computer equipped with an USB port and virtually any digital audio device or equipment compatible with I2S or SPDIF interfaces. Combined with a suitable music player program, this board will offer 32 bit-perfect playback at any rates from 44.1 kHz up to 384 kHz thanks to proprietary drivers which allow for ASIO, Kernel Streaming and WASAPI operation, bypassing the Windows mixer for sublime audio quality.
Two high-precision oscillators source very accurate clock signals for driving bit-transparent operations whether it’s powered from USB port or using 5Vdc external PSU. The 4-layer PCB with dedicated power and ground planes along with six ultra-low noise linear voltage regulators and high quality capacitor networks maintain the whole system noise at minimum preserving the digital audio signals’ integrity for lowest jitter performance. I2S outputs are galvanically isolated using Giant Magneto-Resistive digital isolators (GMR) avoiding noise propagation to the receiver.
Asynchronous USB interface:
- Bit perfect audio streaming from the USB host (optimized for playback)
- USB Audio Class 2.0 support with fall-back to USB Audio Class 1.0
- Low latency (round trip as low as 3ms)
- 16 to 32 Bit-transparent reproduction
- 44.1 to 384 kHz standard sample rates supported
- Option for self- or USB bus-powered applications
- No drivers needed for MAC OS version 10.6.4 and above
- No driver installation required for Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel
- ASIO / KS / WASAPI / Direct Sound drivers for Windows XP to 10 (32 and 64 bit)
- Fully featured genuine Thesycon driver package with NO periodic beeps
- We do NOT offer XMOS driver packages with limited functionality – as per this document
- Native DSD driver support and other features available only to genuine Thesycon packages!
- Latest Thesycon version of Windows drivers (v3.29) is available for use.
USB and digital audio outputs:
- Mechanically enhanced gold plated USB-B connector
- Second multiplexed USB data input port available for off-board connection
- Isolated I2S output using Giant Magneto Resistive (GMR) isolators from NVE
- Non-isolated I2S port by means of 6GHz U.FL. mini BNC sockets
- two 75R isolated and non-isolated SPDIF outputs
- all I2S and SPDIF outputs can work in parallel
User interface and signaling:
- LEDs for sample rate display (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8 and 384 kHz),
- “Host Active” signal available when card is plugged in and recognized by the host
- “Audio Stream” output is enabled when there’s streaming over USB Bus (music playing)
- Green power-on LED
Hardware and layout:
- 4-layer gold-plated PCB with 1/2/2/1 oz copper thickness
- Two 70um copper layers are used for uninterrupted GND / GND & PWR rails
- Careful layout to preserve signal’s integrity and keep the noise to minimum levels
- Seven linear low-noise regulators bypassed by extensive decoupling networks
- There are NO SMPS regulators present on this board
- Three LP5900 LDOs (6.5µVrms) powers the oscillators & surrounding sensitive logic
- High quality parts including OsCON SVP electrolytics & NP0/C0G caps
- Two ultra-low phase noise japanese made oscillators (NDK – NZ2520SD type)
- WaveIO is the first Asynchronous USB interface for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) market – and not only – adopting the NDKs famous NZ2520SD oscillators, starting back in 2012 year
100% Manually assembled, tested and cleaned product! Proofs:
- NO Top and Bottom fiducials are present on PCB (required by automatic assembly machine)
- There are NO “mouse bytes” on any sides of PCB, involving a panel break-away tab geometry
- There are NO leftovers of a panel V-scoring process on any of the sides of this PCB
- All solder joints are double checked to meet our aesthetic and mechanical quality demands
- There’s NO chance for any automatic pick and place machine to provide such a high quantity of solder on any of the WaveIO’s joints, even if “Overprinting” option is used
- Each board is manually cleaned six times in a row until there are no flux residues left on it
- Even if “NoClean” fluxes could leave traces after soldering process has tacking place but, after cleaning process, you’ll see NO residues on any of the WaveIOs joints!
- All WaveIOs are individually packed in zipped ESD protective bags and sealed with EDS stickers
Downloads & Infos
Please contact us regarding drivers for Windows XP to 10 (32 and 64 bit) providing full name, email and shipping addresses information to be identified as a legit WaveIO user/owner, thank you!
Actual Thesycon Windows driver version for WaveIO cards is v3.29
Firmware image files used with DFU feature:
- 32Bit/384KHz support – for WaveIOs with RevisionID 0x0331 or higher
32Bit/384 KHz + 64/128 DoP + 64/128 Native DSD support– for WaveIOs with RevisionID 0x0331 or higher – beta version !!
- 32Bit/384 KHz + 64/128 DoP + 64/128/256 Native DSD support – for WaveIOs with RevisionID 0x0331 or higher – test version, released on 31-Jan-2016 (PCM / DSD pin mapping: I2S_BCLK = DSD_CLK / I2S_LRCK = DSD_DAC0 / I2S_DATA = DSD_DAC1)
Please do NOT attempt to use above updates and drivers with other products than WaveIO! We will NOT be held responsible for any damage caused along the process, thank you!
- WaveIO board have the price of 99 € without shipping and Paypal fees.
- We accept PayPal and bank transfer payments (for latest option please contact us for bank account details)
- Dispatch time is up to 3 weeks from the moment you placed the order, sometimes higher if some parts used in WaveIO’s assembly process are missing from distributor’s stocks.
- Please contact us for multiple order quotations (> 10 boards) and you will get an answer as soon as possible.